The District Registrar does not take a position on who has to complete which portions of the transfer smart form. As designed, the transferor portion of the form must be completed and locked before the transferee portion can be generated. That said, if the parties agree, there is no rule preventing the transferee’s lawyer from filling out the transferor content. Care will be needed because once the transferor content pages have been locked, they cannot be unlocked. Regardless of who completes the form, the transferor is responsible for ensuring the information provided in the transferor content pages is accurate and complete before they sign the form.
The following methodology could be used in such a situation:
- Complete the transferor pages.
- Lock the form and generate transferor signature page.
- Generate the transferee portion of the form.
- Complete the transferee pages.
- Double-lock the form and generate the transferee signature pages.
- The transferee signs the transferee signature pages.
- Send the form and the signed transferee pages to the transferor's lawyer.
- The transferor’s lawyer ensures that the information in the transferor content pages is correct.
- The transferor signs the transferor signature pages.
- The document is submitted for registration.